Thursday 4 April 2013

Holding out for a placement....?

Let me tell you the story of the girl and her search for a placement...

This time last year I was searching high and low for a placement, applying to anything and everything. I had numerous phone interviews, travelled up and down the country for interviews and had written more covering letters than I can remember.

I was so nervous in interviews I would clam up and forget how to answer questions that I had the perfect examples for and I would be constantly wiping my hands on my trousers to get rid of the clammy heat before I shook someone's hand (vile).

For one reason or another I didn't get these opportunities. But I refused to ever give up. Instead...I got cheeky!

I sent out a letter showing what I could offer people and why they should employ me.

(As I have previously mentioned I think cheekiness and I will go far....)

And low and behold this led to a placement. 8 months on here I am, loving my life and more confident than ever before. My skills, confidence, communication and cheekiness have all grown more than I ever thought they would!

If you are looking for a placement don't give up!!!! If you seriously want one, you will get one. For me this was so important I was not going to go down without a fight to get one.

Top tips:
  • Research the company - I know uni nags about this, but listen to them!
  • Use as many examples as you can in interview questions - not just uni ones though
  • Ask at least 3 questions - show you are interested :)
  • Find out what previous placement students have done (if the company have had one)
  • Remember that this is a two way street - you need to write an assignment etc so make sure you have enough to do this
Questions? Throw them over this way and I'll try to help.

Ciao x

No comments:

Post a Comment